This year, I will be one of 4 cochairs for the Queen’s Tech and Media Association. I’ve taken to asking myself what I want to accomplish this year, and what would make this year a success.
I wanted to write this down because it’s important to have a larger goal in mind when you inevitably have to work through a mire of boring, mundane tasks to accomplish this vision. It’s easy to slack or stop giving 100% on these tasks without a strong vision.
QTMA is a product management organization. We build software products. But that simplifies things too much. I would argue we teach people how to build great products, launch these products, while creating awareness for tech as a viable and exciting career path for students.
- Our products acquire real users
- Our members recruit successfully into technology positions
- Our members walk away with new skills
- QTMA is one reason students end up choosing Queen’s Commerce (as is the same with our investment council and case teams)
- Members return next year, or if graduating, remain involved in some capacity.
- Everyone has a fun time
March hiring will soon be in full swing. Interviewing 50+ people in three days is not going to be fun, yet it is a necessary task for building a strong foundation for the coming year.
Good times ahead.